Role: Professional Services Engineer
Location: Englewood, CO
As a Professional Services Engineer, you will provide post-sales services and support for NetApp enterprise customers. Professional Services Engineers team with NetApp account teams and customers to understand customer requirements, scope appropriate services, and deliver service projects. Service projects include various aspects of
project planning, project management, installations, requirements analysis, architecture/design, implementation, optimization, and on-going customer support processes.
NetApp will continue to evolve toward higher value-added solutions and Professional Services Engineers are integral to the success of these solutions. Solution examples are complex storage architectures to support mission critical applications such as database (MSSQL and Oracle), email systems (Exchange), and SAP. Solutions also include backup and restore, disaster recovery, storage consolidation, data protection, storage performance, etc.
The essential responsibilities of the Professional Services Engineer are to collaborate with the Professional Services team and to share best practices in order to assist NetApp customers through on-site support and consulting services including:
- Project planning for tasks of moderate to high compl- Installation and configuration of NetApp hardware and software products.
- Implementation of backup and restore, disaster recovery, storage consolidation, data protection, storage performance, etc.
- Optimization including upgrades, performance monitoring and system audit tasks.
- Customer support including troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Communication with clients and management.
Typical customer technical environments include:
- Operating Systems: Unix and Windows systems administration functions including domain structures, file systems, disk partitions, mounts, quotas, and general security.
- Networking: Local area network technology, specifically Ethernet, IP, DNS and NIS associated daemons. Network architectures include: hubs, repeaters, bridges, routers, and switches.
- Storage: SAN and NAS storage communications including caching and streaming technologies. This individual will contribute positively to specific projects as part of the project planning, project management, installations, requirements analysis, architecture/design, implementation, optimization, and customer support processes.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are essential and are utilized in communicating with team members, systems administrators and managers from staff to vice president level at customer sites on assigned projects.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other engineers and managers in a team environment to share best practices and meet aggressive goals, and meet high quality standards.
- Ability to work well with customers’ technical representatives under a variety of circumstances to best understand and meet customer expectations.
Must have direct experience in the following areas:
- Windows: good knowledge of NT, Win2K, Win2K3. Understand share and NTFS security concepts.
- Unix: good knowledge of Berkeley, Linux, and/or System V Unix system administration concepts including disk and network administration, NFS and NIS/NIS+ administration
- Networking: knowledge of Ethernet, IP, DNS and NIS associated daemons.
- Knowledge of network architectures including hubs, repeaters, bridges, routers, and switches.
- Storage: knowledge of storage administration and the concepts of file systems, disk partitions, mounts, quotas, mirroring and sizing.
- Good knowledge of NAS, DAS, SAN (fabric attached architectures).
- Experience with Data ONTAP fundamentals.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience is required; 6 to 8 years of experience is preferred.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent experience is required.
- MCP and other MicroSoft Certifications are a plus.
- NetApp Certification is a plus