Position: Database & Analytics Engineer
Location: Oakland Area
Verticalmove is partnering with the leading provider of online customer community solutions. Their solutions let companies create vibrant, popular communities that increase sales and customer loyalty while decreasing customer care costs. Companies such as Dell, Cingular, Palm and Nokia are using their solutions to increase the efficiency of their customer support teams as well as reduce costs. In addition to hosting support communities, they get close to 1.5Billion hits on their other online communities, forums & blogs. They have been in business since 2001 and have been profitable the whole time. They have a small development team that is implementing Scrum as the development process. They have recently landed 9M in funding from two VC’s that specialize in Software as a Service (SaaS). Some of their other customers include Zone Labs, Real Networks, Salesforce.com, Intuit, Paypal, Linksys and Univision to name a few. They foster a very friendly atmosphere with open communications among team members with very little “office politics” and they promote from within.
In this position you will play a key role in the definition, design, and implementation of our products. This team will be building out our next generation database architecture and analytics offerings that meets the company’s business objectives. We will be looking for a pragmatic approach to data architecture, data services implementation, analytics and data warehousing in combination with experience in working with large data sets in a SaaS environment.
We will look for direct experience in the implementation of a data warehouse on a significant, visible, product/project of a successful enterprise SaaS offering, e-commerce, social networking, or consumer site.
Working in an agile environment, you will collaborate daily with product managers, software
engineers, technical writers, and QA engineers.
The ideal candidate will be extremely proficient in the design and implementation of a highly
scalable data warehouse, be a solid Java developer and comfortable in both the database
and data tier of the application stack. You’ll have primary design and implementation
responsibility of the data warehouse and be in a supporting role in the application data
services layer. You’ll bring to the role a software background deep in data management
experience, and at least one principal data engineering role in enterprise SaaS, e-
commerce, social networking, or consumer destination site, with significant knowledge of
data warehousing, large data sets and familiarity with data services in multi-tier multi-
tenant web architectures.
- Assess requirements and estimate time and resources to create solutions
- Design, implement and deliver solutions that meet the product requirements
- Evaluate and recommend technology solutions and approaches including build, purchase
commercial offerings, or leverage open source.
- Perform prototyping to validate implementation approaches
- Accurately identify, enumerate and estimate work tasks for project schedules that you
consistently deliver against on time
- Document solutions, schemas, and designs
- Promote data services and database engineering best practices within engineering
- At least 5 years’ commercial experience in database engineering and data warehouse
- Previous experience as the lead or core member of a team creating a data warehouse
including hands-on experience in the design and implementation of an OLAP data model
(schema, SQL) and ETL code and process
- Strong skills in data modeling and OLAP including data warehouse best practices
- Strong SQL skills with experience in database optimization techniques
- Working knowledge of standard data models (application, OLTP, OLAP) and the
appropriate application of each
- Familiarity with database schema diagramming and documentation techniques (ERD’s,
- Familiar with open source and commercial reporting, analytics, and ETL tools (Jasper,
- Data layer experience in a multi-tier distributed web application in either a SaaS or
consumer website product
- Team player with excellent communication and organizational skills
- Self-starter that is results focused with the ability to work independently and in teams
- Proven track record of producing high quality software against plans and schedules that
are being met consistently
HIGHLY DESIRED EXPERIENCE IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Experience abstracting and implementing application data layer services in Java in a
multi-tier distributed application stack.
- Familiarity and experience with agile (scrum) development process
- Knowledge of behavioral analysis or content recommendation systems
- Experience with unstructured data and methods of storage, processing, and analysis
- Experience with clustering and data mining algorithms and techniques
- Previous use of open source data layer tools such as memcached, Hibernate, Hive,
iBATIS, etc. in the implementation of application data services.
- Familiarity with various open source (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and commercial databases
- Previous experience working with a multi-site development team including offshore
- Experience in both small and large companies.
- Previous experience joining an established team with a commercially successful product
B.S. in Computer Science or other relevant technical field
Details and how to apply can be found at: