Position: Manager - Unix & Storage Production Support(Hands On)
Location: Marlboro, MA Area
Outstanding Compensation Package - Base + Bonus + PS
Local Candidates Only - No Sponsorship
Large, successful, and growing Boston based Investment Management Firm -
Great Company - Lots of Upside - Excellent Compensation Package - Bonus -
Profit Sharing etc. Join a team oriented, collaborative, results focused
environment and become part of an elite organization with great growth
Position Responsibilities - Summary:
This individual, as part of the Production Support team within Enterprise
Technology Services will manage a team that provides 24X7 production support
services for our Unix and storage infrastructure. The right candidate
should have extensive management and technical experience with the ability
to support a global multi-vendor and cross-technology production environment
with strong leadership, crisis resolution, team management, communications,
analytical and decision-making skills. This role will report to the manager
of the production support team.
Managing full-time and consultant staff (professional development,
establishing goals, managing workload, defining and clarifying priorities,
and providing technical direction), budgets, technology vendor relationships
and projects/programs (series of projects).
- Continuous availability and operational resiliency of Unix/Storage
- Minimize production risk(s)/issue(s) through oversight and
delivery of people, process and technology services
- Taking ownership of issues in a 24×7 production environment,
collaborate with other teams on remediation and manage them through
- Understand business priorities/needs, the IT organization’s goals
and enable alignment of the team’s operating model, processes and systems to
meet stated objectives and outcomes.
- Providing vision, direction, definition of team
activities/priorities and impact on technology and thought
leadership/expertise for the Unix/Storage team initiatives
- Apply Unix/Storage technology and application domain understanding
and collaborate with teams/peers to implement solutions, systems and
processes to improve our operations and support capabilities.
- Interacting with planning, engineering, delivery and operations
teams to coordinate project activities and support issues. Communicating
issues and status to senior management in the form of status reports,
briefings, and presentations.
- Development of strategy and plans for systems production
readiness, security/audit, monitoring for continued operability in a 24×7
environment, infrastructure high availability, participation in disaster
recovery planning and testing, adherence to system standards and oversee the
development of automated Unix/storage system provisioning and operational
- Function as a “mentor” for the team and empower employees by
dissemination of personal knowledge, perspective(s) and experience(s)
- Foster a positive culture of creativity, innovation and continuous
improvements of our services and operational capabilities
- Focus on enabling efficiency and productivity enhancements within
our global support staff, processes and our technology/tool(s) portfolio.
Keys to This Position:
1.This is a Senior person that is a Strong Hands on Manager. This
individual will manage 16 resources in the Unix and Storage space. The
candidate should have Strong Leadership skills along with experience in
Budgeting, Project Management and Staff Development.
2.Technical Requirements: This candidate needs to be close to the
following technologies as a Tech Lead: Solaris, Linux, Veritas, VMware and
EMC with an understanding of Oracle databases.
3.See the first two bullet pointes under Required Skills and
4.The candidate should come from a large production environment.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- 10+ years experience as a manager/contributor supporting global
24×7 Unix and storage support teams with distributed
- Hands-on experience in environments with the following
- Solaris (Fujitsu Primepower and Sun V-, T-, M- series platforms)
and Linux (Redhat on Sun, IBM and HP platforms)
- Veritas storage foundation suite
- Virtualization with VMWare and SRDF based (or similar)
- EMC, NetApps, Celera and Acopia (F5) SAN and NAS based storage
- Functional understanding of Oracle databases, Weblogic
application servers and MQ messaging
- Ability to function/lead autonomously in a collaborative culture
with focus on business outcome(s), impact to the firm and client service
- Experience in leading, delegation and also having the technical
expertise to get “hand-on” involved as/when the need arises.
- A personal style, commitment and communication ability that allows
you to partner with IS peers and teams to work productively and efficiently.
- Strong delivery/operations leadership, change agent, motivation to
take on and lead new initiatives and willingness to learn and grow self (in
areas of technical and management skills)
- Good understanding of the financial services industry, business
priorities/workflow and it’s associated IT infrastructure, system and
- Prior experience with designing, staffing and operationalizing a
Network Operations center (NOC) will be a plus
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or related discipline
Gary Wright - President - Wright Associates
Phone - (508) 761-6354
Email - replywrightassociates AT verizon DOT net
Website - www.wrightassociates.org