Position: Project Lead/Dev Manager
Location: San Mateo
Greenplum located in San Mateo began its development of its award winning products in 2003, Greenplum is a pioneer of Enterprise Data Cloud solutions for large-scale data warehousing and analytics, providing the customer with flexible access to all their data for business intelligence and analytics.
Greenplum database products is a massively parallel processing system(MPP) designed to support the next generation of data warehousing and large scale analytic processing. We offer industry leading performance for low cost from firms needing to manage data from terabytes to petabytes. Greenplum is led by pioneers in database systems, data warehousing, supercomputing, Internet performance acceleration and open source. With technical and business leaders from large-scale computing companies like Amazon, eBay, Salesforce.com, Digital Island/Sandpiper Networks and HPTI, and database companies including Oracle, Informix, Teradata, Netezza, Microsoft and Tandem, Greenplum is tapping the best minds in the business to deliver technology to power a smarter Web. Our customers include NYSE, NASDAQ, SKYPE, Fox Interactive, and Media Myspace, as well as several major social networking firms in the industry.
Project Leader/Development Manager (hands on role) (database/systems software exp)
Immediate opportunity for a talented development manager to join a team of software professionals on developing Greenplum Database, a massive scale parallel database. Our customers are worldwide and include Fortune 500 companies. They heavily rely on our software not only to quickly find the “gold” in the huge amount of data they have collected, but also to enable them to massively cleanse, analyze, mine and arbitrarily manipulate information for their companies.
As a member of this team, you will lead a group of engineers to architect, design and implement solutions that enable efficient systems management and monitoring of the Greenplum Database. The ideal candidate would still be eager to directly contribute to the codeline, and would be ready to engage in broader discussions that involve product and program management challenges.
- Managing a small team of engineers in the system management and monitoring area
- Responsible for contribution and delivery of tools, utilities and frameworks in that area
- Interacting with partners and contractors to develop or integrate Greenplum solutions to 3rd-party solutions
- About 50% development/architecture, about 50% management and engineering-related activities
- Contribute to key software architecture decisions
- Design, develop and lead the development of enterprise-level, scalable, high-quality software
- Help define and collect critical system requirements
- Manage a group of engineers, including personnel activities
- Procure and manage contractors to help as needed
- Collaborate with leaders and engineers in all functions and areas
- Review documentation and code created by other developers, team members
- Various responsibilities as required for a small company
- Must have experience in managing teams of development engineers
- Must have solid knowledge of distributed systems, systems management and monitoring
- Must have a BS degree in a technical discipline, preferably CS and 8+ years minimum experience, or a MS degree in a technical discipline, preferably CS, and 4-6 years minimum experience
- Strong self starter with track record of success both as developer and project leader
- Strong problem solver; strong abstract thinker
- Strong programming skills, and extensive experience in developing enterprise, server side products
- Familiarity with the Unix programming environments and GNU tools
- Familiarity with database/datawarehousing products
- Understanding of parallel and distributed algorithms
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Perl or Python
- Experience working with small or “startup” firms successfully is highly desired
Greenplum is setting the pace in the Enterprise Data Cloud/ database/datawarehousing space. We are growing rapildly and providing solutions to major firms in the industry. Greenplum offers individuals a generous compensation package/benefits package as well as equity in our firm.
Please send your information to herbnj AT greenplum DOT com