Position: Sr. Enterprise Data Architect
Up to $115K+ DOE + Bonus - Excellent total package
Local Candidates Only
Location: Boston, MA Area
Mid-Sized, successful, and growing Boston based global investment management company - Great Company - Lots of Upside - Excellent Compensation Package - Bonus
Position Responsibilities - Summary:
The Database Administration and architecture team is responsible for supporting and architecture of a global SQL environment. Responsibilities would encompass day-to-day administration, daily maintenance and optimization tasks and assisting developers in the creation of new databases. The team also provides support to all vendor and packaged applications that use SQL server as a backend.
Reporting to the Manager of Database and Architects, this Enterprise Data Architect will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of a centralized repository of information related to enterprise data, interfaces, data strategies and data measurement quality metrics. Will assist in providing world-class support and leadership to our developers, application support and business teams.
The iterative creation, refinement, and dissemination of a “toolset” to use in DB design and development, including design principles, design patterns, design and development processes, coding standards, naming conventions, code generators, code samples, etc.
This position will be accountable to establish an enterprise-wide database architecture council chartered to review processes, data, and software used in the company and look for ways to integrate and consolidate them. The Architect will work directly with key customers in Operations, IT and across the Enterprise to define business requirements, create technical strategies that enable business solutions and provide senior technical support for driving the solutions to implementation.
The DA will be the lead technical member of the team responsible for planning, designing and implementing large scale OLTP databases, OLAP data warehouses and data marts, ODS repositories, the system transports and the business processes, all used to create, read, update, delete, move, synchronize enterprise data. The DA will be directly responsible for the development of the logical data models, and how data is shared and synchronized between various transactional and information systems. The DA will ensure the proper alignment of the logical data models with use cases, object models and interface definitions.
Position Responsibilities - Detailed:
The candidate will be responsible for design, implementation and support of large OLTP and OLAP application, performance optimization and reporting. Design and implementation of applications includes the following activities:
- Perform data source analysis
- Data modeling & ETL design
- Closely work with QA for testing and UAT activities
- Lead production support and post implementation support effort along-with DBA and operations team
- Establishing robust build / release process
- Expected to lead other members technically in the area of his/her responsibilities
- Common vocabulary and entity set for all problem and solution spaces
- Strategy for the use of, and interactions between, data, systems and users
- Minimal set of data stores to satisfy data requirements
- Reusable set of DB objects and interfaces
- Process to keep examining all of the above to manage change and keep finding more ways to integrate and consolidate
- Database lifecycle process
- Data archiving policy for different types of data (investment strategy data vs. core infrastructural data)
- Formula to estimate the cost of data management per server, database and table (based on operational costs, server, licenses, etc)
- Documentation of the system to system interaction and data flows at varying levels (business / technical / infrastructure)
- Common set of management tools and methodologies for ETL
- Establish a market data centralization/decentralization/normalization/de normalization mechanisms
- Assist in the development of a GDOC (Global Database Operations Center) where our systems will be continuously monitored via 3rd party products, in-house scripts and a operational dashboard
- Define and maintain critical documentation including: Processes, Rules and Regulations, Best Practices, etc.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- An average 10+ years in IT, application design, development and maintenance
- IT Solutions Architecture experience, heavy emphasis in .Net / Java
- Knowledge of the financial industry is preferred
Artifacts of Enterprise Data architect Experience
- 8+ years of IT/software experience in data modeling/data architecture.
Able to work with key business partners to gain consensus on their organizations’ business policies and requirements
- Must have demonstrated ability to design, implement, and tune data mart/reporting system in a large data environment.
- Ability to present complex technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Solid, quantifiable experience in the following: Metadata standards, Data modeling, Use of modeling tools, Data flow diagrams, ERWin, Databases, SQL Server, and PLSQL Programming.
- Understand team requirements and need from architecture
- Help teams see the value of the architecture and understand how to use it successfully
- Strong understanding of architecture principles and frameworks
- Must intimately familiar with features like table partitioning, bit mapped index , star optimization, data warehouse analytical functions
- Must be aware of performance and scalability considerations in a mart environment
- Experience with application and Integration design methodologies, standards and best practices
- Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) and business integration
- TIBCO, NetApps, or IBM MQ integration environments
- Experience with BI, EDWs, and DB environment
- Experience with security architecture
- Application Design, Development, and Testing - Software Life Cycle
- Management techniques and Tools for managing requirements, process, and object versioning
- Knowledge of data quality principles and concepts.
- Knowledge of SQL and other programming languages.
- Database monitoring software (e.g. NetIQ, HP Openview, BMC Patrol, SiteScope, etc) and advanced monitoring techniques
- Understanding of the database development lifecycle, including database creation, table design, etc.
- Familiar with ETL tools, primarily with SSIS 2005 however Informatica, DTS, etc
- Experience with architecting and implementing reports within SQL Server Reporting Services 2000/2005
- Bachelors degree in computer science desired
- Related technical undergraduate degree, or related experience
Up to $115K+ DOE + Bonus - Excellent total package - Comprehensive Benefits Package
No Sponsorship Available - US Based Applicants Only - No Relocation Available - Local Candidates only
Gary Wright - President - Wright Associates
Phone - (508) 761-6354
Email - replywrightassociates AT verizon DOT net
Website - www.wrightassociates.org