Position: Sr. MySQL Database Administrator
Do you want to be at the heart of the D2C mobile commerce space in
North America? Did you know that the mobile commerce market is
expected to exceed $4 billion by 2010? OpenMarket is poised to be the
best in the business - come and join this growing and exciting
You may ask what is OpenMarket? OpenMarket is an aggregator between
mobile content providers and the nation’s top wireless carriers. Have
you ever purchased a ringtone for your mobile phone? Most likely you
have worked with OpenMarket. We are the hub for SMS (Short Message
Service), MMS (Multi Media Service) and payment transactions to the
consumer. We partner with all the major carriers in the US. Our
customers include large content providers, media companies and mobile
specialists new to the off-portal market, such as:
- Predicto Mobile,
We do it better than any other provider on the market today, so if
that excites you, come and join our winning team.
OpenMarket is looking for a Senior MySQL DBA to work in a
geographically redundant 24×7 operations environment supporting
multiple OpenMarket services. As a key member of operations team you
will collaborate and work with other operations team members and SW
Development Engineers on database schema and queries; installing,
configuring, upgrading and monitoring the MySQL environments as
appropriate, as well as providing expertise to the organization on
how best to leverage the MySQL DBMS and related tools and utilities
for our development, test and production needs. The Senior MySQL DBA
is also responsible for participating in cross-functional project
efforts and for thoroughly documenting appropriate procedures for all
internal customer groups that actively utilize our MySQL capabilities.
- Installations and upgrades of database SW and schema for
various services and applications
- Database Security
- Database Monitoring and tuning
- Database Backup
- Query optimizations
- 5+ years of DBA experience in the following areas:
- Experience with MySQL 4.0, 5.0 and later database
administration in a 24×7 highly available production environment.
- Installing, configuring and upgrading MySQL database,
primarily in Linux environments.
- Experience with working on High availability and High
throughput Production environments and troubleshooting.
- Hands-on experience with replication and clustering
- Designing and managing tables, indexes, stored procedures,
partitions, snapshots and their logs, etc.
- Experience in creating data warehouses, including data
extracts, summary tables, de-normalization, etc.
- Linux scripting and cron
- Working with Java engineers on database design, query
optimization, and migration strategies
- Interacting with Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle databases
- Ability to support 24×7 production environment (Shared on-
call responsibilities with other operations team members).
- Experience with building geographically redundant databases
supporting active-active application functionality across data
The ideal candidate exhibits the following personality traits:
- Customer-first mentality
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong self-confidence and ability to take calculated risks
to support our fast moving and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Strong sense of curiosity around MySQL and DBA functions and
capabilities, constantly striving for better, faster, simpler methods
- Tenacity in trouble-shooting and problem solving.
- Tactful in all technical and business situations with strong
- Able to effectively work and communicate with internal
customers ranging from development engineers to senior management.
- Highly detail-oriented but also able to understand and
participate in planning for how to execute on the bigger picture
- You are a smart, results-oriented team player who has a
proven track record in shipping high quality software that customers
- You are proactive rather than reactive. You take it
personally when an issue is unresolved.
- A culture that embraces “nice” and “technology-driven” and is
somewhere in between “start-up informal” and a “little bit corporate.”
- The chance to build features that have an immediate customer
- The opportunity to continually learn whether it be from your
project, attending classes and conferences, or our “innovation” days.
- Fully stocked beverage cooler and all the soda you can drink
- Pizza Tuesdays and Bagel Fridays
- Subsidized dry cleaning
- Subsidized gym membership
- Transportation allowance
- Wii, ping pong, foosball and air hockey onsite
- Dev team outings approximately every 6 weeks. Past outings
have included: whirlyball, kayaking and sailing.
- Medical and dental insurance
- Accrued paid time off starting at 17 days per year
- Our attire is casual, our professionalism is not
This company is growing fast and is motivated to fill these positions
Please submit your resume to jobs AT openmarket DOT com. OpenMarket is a business of Amdocs.